Thursday, June 23, 2011

Rut row ... here comes 3-0

I have thought a lot about this post and what I might write. And honestly, I don't know where it is going to take me... but stay for a bit and read on. It might be a good one... or maybe not.

Something about me, that most people do not know (or would not realize). I am fairly religious. I have my beliefs, I talk to my God (and I say my, because I believe we all have our own relationship with a higher spirit, God, etc. whatever you want to call it. For me, it is God) and I believe in being a good person. With this being said, this is not a post about spirituality or religion. I bring this up, because through my religious beliefs and spirituality, I believe that all things happen for a reason (even the crappy things!) and that my God is looking out for me. It's this foundation to my life, that helps me get through the more challenging of days/times/etc. It's this foundation that gave me the strength to move to Bowling Green, Ohio on a whim.. It's this foundation, that led me to the midwest, that brought Troy and I together, and that has manifested itself in all pieces of my life.

My 20's were a learning time for me. Although, there were many wonderful and exciting things that took place in my 20's (Hartwick, best friends, Bowling Green, BGSU, meeting Troy, getting married, etc.), there were also great periods of learning, growth and development -anyone that says a family divorce is easier to go through as an adult, has never been through a divorce before. But, as I said, I believe all things happen for a reason. The difficult times only made me stronger and more in tune with who I am vs. who I am not.

Not only did I learn who I am, I learned that it is okay, to be who I am. I am the girl that prefers flip flops over heels (but will definitely still rock 4" when needed!). I am the girl that prefers country over city. I am the girl that prefers dogs over cats. I am the girl that is passionate in her goals and what she believes.  And being able to know who you are and be okay with that, is a wonderful thing.



And so... as I woke up this morning and thought "wow, I am 30," I did not have a mental breakdown over turning the "big 3-0." I let the dogs out to potty and as they cruised over the deck to the grass, I took a moment to look at the tranquility and peace of what surrounded me. The sun was just rising over Lake Erie. The ducks were out for their morning feed. My plants are thriving on the decks (this is such good news for me!) and the waves were quietly splashing against the shore. It was so peaceful. And in that moment, right there, I was happy. I am happy. And I feel lucky to be content with where I am, who I am, and what blessings I have in my life. So, thank you 20s for being 10 great years of too much fun, tears, joy, laughter, friendship, family, and most importantly learning. I am eager to head into my 30's...to learn even more, to grow as a person, and to know, that every step I take, I have my foundation and my spirituality to ground me.

No comments:

Post a Comment