Monday, November 29, 2010

5 x 100 on 1:30 ... I am old

Do I dare admit, I took the last 3 days off from working out? Friday-Sunday, I was lazy. Friday, we drove back to MI, Saturday we went to our friends for a great party during the OSU vs UM game. Nothing is better than walking in their place, and their adorable 2 year-old running up to me for a big huge, because he has not seen me in a few months. Love that.  Sunday, we had a productive day of Christmas decorating (not finished yet) and tree chopping. So, my legs, arms, body, etc. did not see my running sneakers, the gym, etc. for 3 days. I think my muscles and my knees appreciated it. After the half, I only took one day off. 

So, during the football party on Saturday, one of my friends and I decided pool it was Monday morning.  He and his wife, both were college swimmers.... DI college swimmers. I was, DIII. Remember that.... . Kate, would have been with us, except she is 4.5 months preggo and cute as ever. Troy, doesn't do morning work-outs and doesn't do pool work outs that involve 1000 yds warm-up, pull-buoys, fins, etc. Matt, is training for a half-ironman in August (and trying to to get me to do mine then as well). So, Matt and I, were up and in the pool by 6 a.m. Just like college... all over again....

Except, in college, people knew about swimmer etiquette. When you have 6 lanes and each lane has a swimmer already occupying the lane, you then, swim sides. Apparently, not all of the swimmers, understand or know this rule. After reading my blog, please know and abide by this rule. It's annoying, when people will not share their lane. I promise, I am a nice person and will stay on my side. And really, guy, thrashing your arms about and causing more wake than our boat - it's not necessary and you just looked weird doing whatever it was, you were doing.
So, after a warm-up... a "sprint" set came next... and then, it was bad...

During college 5 x 100 on 1:30 would have been part of our warm-up. This morning, at 6:20 a.m., as my friend, Matt and I attempted this set, I wanted to die by number 2. Granted, I have not swam since August (only ran and lifted from August - November, for the half-marathon training). But still, I wanted to die. Matt, kicked my butt. I was ashamed (especailly since I did a LOT of trash talking on Saturday. I ate that trash this morning).

I am in ten times better shape today, than I was in college, and yet, I couldn't hold these. This my friends, is called... .getting old.

And now my arms are sore.

Things to order online: more suits (relax on the bromine/chlorine mix YMCA!), new zoomers, and paddles. Did I mention triathlon training is an expensive hobby?

1 comment:

  1. I didn't kick your butt... I just figured you were doing it to help build myself confidence. Like when they train horses for the big race there is always that horse that loses just to help the other one build the confidence.
    P.S. in no way am I comparing you to a horse but as similar as you are to my wife she would somehow take it that way. but none the less I am sure I will get punched for it.... oh ya and for all you that want to know if Sue can punch I found out this past weekend, I am going to the doctor this week to find out if I will ever be able to use that arm again.
    Well Sue B I will see you in the AM, of course only if you don't have trouble finding the keys agaaaaaaain. I am sure tomorrow you will tell me you couldn't find the light switch........

    ReplyDelete