Monday, January 3, 2011

Running is my enemy

I really don't like to run. In fact, I almost hate it. It doesn't clear my head and bring me to a happy place, like it does for some. Swimming, now swimming, does that for me. However, if I am serious about 70.3 (and I AM serious about it), I must learn to embrace running. I need to find a way to enjoy it more than I do. I can swim from here to NY and back, but not so much with the run.

I thought training for a half-marathon this past fall, would help me overcome my hate relationship with running. I can't say that it did that. I can say, it taught me that I can, indeed, run MUCH farther than I ever thought I could. And I know I CAN run 13.1

NOW, I just need to put 13.1 after a 1.2 mile swim and a 56 mile bike. Thus, 70.3.

Troy and I just returned from a winter night run. I decided to turn into a sprint work-out. A mile warm-up, 2 miles of 3 minute sprint and a minute walk, followed by a cool down. It sounds easier than it is. Its the kind of running that makes your heart beat out of your chest and your legs throb when you are finished.

They say that triathlons are either won or lost on the run. I'm not planning on losing anytime soon.

1 comment:

  1. Lets plan some winter runs. We can come to you or you guys can come up here. we can make some dates...it'll be fun. :o) I LOVE to run...so maybe that will help? I also used to HATE to run...so I feel ya. great job on the workouts though. You are an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete