Friday, February 11, 2011

Calories

I have been following a variety of different blogs lately, all of which are related to running, training, healthy living, etc. For the most part, I thoroughly enjoy the reading and am always intrigued to see how others' view their own healthy living process. However, there is one blog, that for the last few days I mentally have disagreed with. I will not share the link, as again, for the most part, I love this blog EXCEPT when it comes to the philosophy on eating and dieting.

This particular blogger believes that their daily caloric intake should be around 1000 (can you say your body shuts down and starts eating itself?!) and consists of: fruits, vegetables, light protein, limited calcium, etc. The major food groups are fine, but seriously, 1000 calories/day?! Are you fing kidding me?! Not to mention this blogger also runs, works-out, etc. I mean, I don't think I would even have the strength to run a mile if I limited my body to a 1000 calories/day!

I am fully aware that everyone's body size, structure, etc. are different and therefore, everyone needs different calorie amounts and food. However, 1000 calories?! I am in shock. I can burn close to 1000 calories alone on a long run training day. I just don't get it.

I also, do not agree, that one must limit themselves to perfectly healthy food 24/7. If I do this, I will head towards horrible binges. I guess for me, that's why Weight Watchers works (I sound like a commercial - watch out J Hudson). No, but for real, a person cannot just eat salads, fruit, and protein 24/7. Sometimes you need to have a little variety and not to mention, you need to treat yourself! I find, I do much better per/week with weight lose, if I allow some splurging here-and-there. Some pizza and popcorn is NOT going to kill you. Just sayin. It's eating that stuff 24/7 that kills you (I know, common sense).

So this weekend, I will enjoy my small movie theatre popcorn (no salt, light butter) with my diet coke. I will not freak-out about it. I will be friends with the gym. And Monday, when I weigh-in, I have a feeling the scale will be good to me.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent post Sue! So true.I too need to indulge to help keep on track...also a reason I need to run. I like my treats! Glad you"re figuring out what works for you!

    ReplyDelete