Sunday, February 27, 2011

Running vs. Blogging

About 3.5 miles into my 5 mile run yesterday, I realized two things:

1. I was not dreading the run, as much as I normally do.
2. I was not counting the miles down, like I normally do.

After realizing these two things, I asked myself why? Why no longer was I dreading the run or counting down every step I took? The answer was simple... I was focusing on my next blog. Brilliant. For the first time in a lonnnnnggggggg time, I was not dreading the run. In fact, I was so busy focusing in on what my next blog with be about, I barely realized when I was close to the 4 mile marker. This, to me, was a great day! I might have finally figured out how to "lose myself" during my runs. I will test the theory again, during my Sunday 3 miler this afternoon.

So instead of focusing on the action of running, I focused mostly on the music that was blasting in my ears. And how this music affects my running mood. I distinctly remembering coming to a crossroads in the run - I could have opted for 3 or 5 miles. I opted for the turn that would take me for a 5 miler. At this very moment, my music switched from Something to Believe In by Poison, to Dynamite by Taio Cruz. Direct correlation? Yes, very much so.  And as I chose the 5 mile run (which was what I was suppose to run yesterday)  I thought about my ass. Yes, my ass. Would I like to shake it on the back of the boat this summer, feeling more confidant than I ever have (don't judge me) OR would I like to be semi-confidant? The vote, was clearly shake-that-ass with confidence. So with a little Dynamite blasting in my ears, maybe even a bit of semi-fist pumping action, I was off for the 5 miles. My legs, my thighs, my stomach, and most importantly my ass, were most appreciative of my choice at the end.

Disclaimer... let's not pretend the majority of us don't shake our asses on boats, when the music is blaring and the sun is high. We do. We love it. And it is a good time.

No comments:

Post a Comment