Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Dogs

By now... you should all know one very important piece of information:

I LOVE MY DOGS

I love their cuddles, I love their playful behavior, I love their kisses, I love Bailey's grunts, I love when they cuddle together, and for the most part I even love Captain's hair (minus that whole vacuum everyday thing, I got going on). I never knew having dogs would be as rewarding as it is. During the weeks, as Troy travels, they are my companions.  They listen to me talk to myself. They watch me make dinner in the kitchen. They hide when I get the vacuum out. The know the exact time we go to bed. They know if we are going to read first or go straight to bed. They even know Thursday night is my favorite TV show night (okay, maybe this is a stretch - whatev, in my world, they know).

As I removed Captain from my arm and half of my chest this morning, to head to the gym, he was not a happy camper. Bailey, wanted nothing to do with going outdoors (especially with our new snowfall) at 5 a.m. But, being the great dogs they are, they obeyed. We had our morning love time and I left to hit the gym, before the next storm hits.

Sunday night, as we were getting ready to go to bed, the following scene played out in our home:

I was already in bed, about to read. Troy, just got into bed with his book. Bailey and Captain, sitting on the floor, waiting patiently to be invited up (yes, they totally sleep with us - for awhile we didn't allow it, but I like them to be with me, when Troy travels). Troy calls them up and first Bailey jumps up (Captain, still waits patiently on the floor), she walks up to us and grunts. Immediately following the grunt, Captain jumps up, finds his spot, and gracefully "flops" himself down.

Troy, turned to me and said: "Do you know what just happened?"
Me: "Um, nothing special. That happens each night."
Troy: "No, didn't you see it?"
Me: "What?"
Troy: "Captain waited for Bailey's grunt, to make sure he could come up as well. And then he heard it and up he came."
Me: "Really Troy? I think not."

Either way .... it was a precious moment. One, that made me love them that much more.

To close... take a look at this. For dog lovers/owners out there, you will appreciate it:

It's a list of what we would learn if dogs were our teachers. Such as:

Always run to greet loved ones when they come home.

Never pass the opportunity to go for a joy ride.

Recognize the ecstasy of fresh air and wind in your face.

Take naps.

Stretch before rising.

Run, romp and play daily.

Thrive on attention and let people touch you.

Avoid biting when a simple growl will do.

On warm days, lie on your back in the grass. On hot days, drink lots of water and find the shade.

When you're happy, dance around and wag your entire body.

Enjoy long walks.

Be loyal.



No comments:

Post a Comment